Monday, May 18, 2009

Humility in all things

I've been meditating a lot lately on one thing in particular -- what does it mean to be a woman of faith? If i want to be a wife and a mother of faith someday, I must understand what it means to be a woman of faith first...knowing that the journey never ends but only becomes more precious and priceless as time goes on.

I'm realizing that one of the most deining characteristics of a woman of faith is HUMILITY. Humily in word. Humility in service. Humility in love. Humility in relationships. Humility in all things. And when I reflect on my life and the things that control me sometimes (well, let's be honest...more often than I would like), it's oftentimes, a absence of humility that controls me. It's in these things, in these desires, that my pride acts a huge stronghold on me...
- to fix people
- to look perfect on the outside
- to find a husband
- to look for purpose...in worldly standards
- to be liked by kids, peers, and superiors
- to please other people
- to play the "good girl"
- to perform well

I'm so blind to these things. These things that control me.

Father, teach us to be humble in all things, and to seek righteousness only from You. Help me understand my own heart and why and where I desire credit. Help me to be humble. Show me humility in my friends and peers. Only in You will we ever be humble.

2 comments:

  1. Amen!!!!
    Pride is the greatest stumbling block to know God...I know exactly what you're saying! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't post the previous comment. But it says T - who posted that?? Is it someone pretending to be me?? Uuuups!

    Anyway - what I was going to say is Humility is a very hard thing to wish for, and a bold prayer to request of God.... it's very admirable that you would ask to be humbled, bc the Lord humbles us in some pretty powerful and extremely difficult ways... but you are SO right that it is in humility that we are TRUE women of faith, and Lights for Him.... so I admire you in your willingness to pursue such a difficult prayer!!!

    Very awesome!

    ReplyDelete