Every May I launch my annual "Campaign to become a Better Version of Myself". And, this year, one of key areas I'm exploring is beauty.
Yup. Beauty.
I think that "beauty" is core to what it means to be a woman and -- to be completely transparent --at this point in time, I don't really "get it".
In other words, at this point in time, my understanding of "beauty" feels the same as my "understanding calculus" -- I know people that get it and can even copy thier homework so as to look like I've got it... But when it comes to really getting it... I'm lost.
So, all that to say, I've decided that my weekly nuggets will be a place where I can share what God's teaching me about this mysterious concept.
My study of Scripture this week has lead me to a passage in the 3rd chapter of I Peter. Verses 3-6 of this chapter claim that real beauty comes from the inside - that beauty shows up as a state of being rather than as an outward adornment.
Then, to illustrate this concept of beauty, Peter mentions Sarah, Abraham's wife.
I've never done an extensive study of Sarah. So, my knowledge of her is limited to the data points of her story. In other words, I know about her, but I've never really put myself in her shoes so as to know her.
Still, given what I know about her story, I can speculate what some of key ingredients in her beauty were -- trust and obedience.
Thus, my guess is that Sarah's beauty was a process AND a state of being; my guess is that Sarah wasn't always regarded as beautiful.
So, now I've left wondering... how did she do it?
Maybe Sarah's beautification process was in her ability to stop fearing potential disaster and start trusting God? Maybe this is my beautification process too?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That's what I call "wisdom"!
ReplyDeleteI LOOOOVE THIS!
ReplyDeletethank you for challenging me to rethink beauty!
ReplyDelete