Friday, May 22, 2009

Letting go of shells

I met with a good friend today for coffee. We were both share a similar passion for Africa and are both currently unsure of what the Lord wants us to be doing. She told me how sometimes God says no to make room for a much bigger yes. That reminded me of another conversation I had with another good friend who told me about a Rob Bell video that she had recently seen. It was the one where a small kid was at the ocean with his parents and he was picking up shells. The majority of the shells that he was coming across were small and broken, but still shiny and pretty. Then he saw a beautiful starfish. His eyes got big and he decided to go after it. He went towards it a few times but never picked it up. Why aren't you picking it up his father asked him? I want to but I don't have anymore room in my hands he said. Are we holding on to broken shells afraid to let go when God has a starfish for us that is within our reach if we just let go and grab on. As Elahe once said God wants to give you macadamian (i might say Pecans) nuts but you are preoccupied with peanuts!

2 comments: