She dumped her belongings at the table directly behind us, positioning all her pieces just as she saw fit. Fred continued about "What you're going to find Tara, as you grow, your time is going to be more demanded and people are going to be asking a lot about- "..... he was cut off by the lady who now turned to us taking notice of something on our table that she liked:
Lady: "I see the mac... who's the mac person?"
Fred (clearly confused that we are midst convo and that we're being interrupted): "Say what??"
Lady: "the mac... Who's the mac person?"
I turned my body towards her a bit, to hopefully open things up, allow her to feel a bit more welcome... I knew Fred was put off by her.
Fred: "Uhhhh..... What??"
Lady: "I used one once, ....bc my friend helped to get information up..... so that it looked nice for us to share with everyone in a way that was special...... so that we could use it to get info out and let people know for the non-profit that I'm starting..."
Fred looked dumbfounded... his face said it all - "What are you talking about? Why are you interrupting us?? And Who the heck are you??"
I smiled. Fred stared blankly. She was an inconvenience to our meeting. She was different. Not exactly easy on the eyes... and she was talkin' crazy.
I got a lil' choked up thinking of the people that probably scoff even worse at my sister each day, when she just wants to attempt to share a story or get a word out...
Helia was missing for a long period one afternoon this week - so long that we called the police. The designated neighborhood officer pulled into our house after her 5 hour abscence just minutes behind Helia as she finally returned. Officer Mulkey was his name - and he knew Helia by name.... he said he keeps an eye out for her, and sometimes talks to her when she might be in an awkward or uncomfortable position out and about... he said managers and employees have complained or commented, but he's always reassured them, "she's harmless... just tryin' to enjoy herself a bit..." He even said one time she had a stain on the back of her pants, and he helped her get home, looking out for her dignity a bit...
This week I've been slammed at work, arrogantly speaking with dissension about those I work with that have inconvenienced me and my work load, or who don't seem to follow the process flow I'm trying to manage as easily as I'd like...
But the Lord reminded me this a.m. of the GRACE He graciously gives me when I'm ignorant to Him, or inconvenient, or obnoxious or disobedient or just annoying to Him... He reminded me of the gracious heart of Officer Mulkey when others turn a nasty eye towards my sister... He put the lady at Starbuck's Monday morning right in front of me to witness the lack of grace we grant to people each day, bc it's "different" and inconvenient to our daily process...
I guess I challenge all of us to think of those whose path you've already crossed today - maybe even the people you barely noticed, or chose to intentionally not notice... I pray we always pause to remember it's only by GRACE we are who we are, and that we can do what we do and achieve what we achieve.... I pray, that by His GRACE in our hearts we can grant others the same beautiful gift........
A lil' bit of Helia to make you smile today:
Man, i love that story T! Such a great example of seeing through the eyes of God. Really REALLY good thing for me to see right now.
ReplyDeleteThanks taralee!!!! You have a beautiful heart!!And a wise spirit!!
ReplyDelete