Thursday, June 11, 2009

I have decided, I have RESOLVED....

A year ago in the Beth Moore Daniel study I did, I was introduced to a word for what felt like the first time. Surely I had heard the word before, and maybe even used it, but there was something that resonated with me in what I heard on that day of study, that every time I hear the word since it just penetrates my vulnerable heart.

Beth asked, How do we resist the world's titanic pressure?...

We RESOLVE
.

Before getting into what Merriam-Webster and other dictionaries have to say about the word, I think it's telling to see how God breathed this verbiage into His living Word for us to know...

2 Chronicles 20:3
Alarmed, Jehoshaphat resolved to inquire of the LORD, and he proclaimed a fast for all Judah.

Psalm 17:3
Though you probe my heart and examine me at night, though you test me, you will find nothing; I have resolved that my mouth will not sin.

Daniel 1:8
But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way.

1 Corinthians 2:2
For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

The dictionary defines "resolve" as:

- to come to a definite or earnest decision about something; determine
- to come to a determination; to make up one's mind

It seems simple enough a word - to decide. But when considering our faith in Jesus... when truly examining our hearts and our faith in Him - I wonder if we have truly resolved much of anything... when we see what others have, and what we lack,
have we truly resolved to live by His will? When we find ourselves in circumstances that seem too much to bear, have we resolved to trust Him? And perhaps most importantly, when His timing is not ours, and we don't see the results we hope for as soon as we like.... have we resolved to wait for Him?

For the past couple weeks the word has probed my heart again, because of one beautiful song that I've played on repeat. You know me - I love music and videos on here, so I had to include one... please, though, take 5 min to watch it... sing and pray in your heart.... you'll be blessed...

LORD, I beg You by Your grace to let us all be children that RESOLVE to trust You, and cling to You and wait for You, Lord... wait for You to grace us with clarity in our jobs, for You to heal our broken, for You to bring honorable husbands, for You to free us of our bondages, for You to reveal Yourself to those we love, for You to "flood into our thirsty hearts again!"

Lamentations 3:25 (NASB)
The LORD is good to those who wait for Him, to the person who seeks Him.


1 comment: