I first read this prayer almost a week ago on a bus traveling across the country with 50 or so screaming kids in the background. Amidst the bustle, the shoulder taps, and the busy microphone, I found a quiet moment to read it. I read it over and over. Names came to mind. Faces I pictured. Dads. Daughters. Cousins. Sisters. Friends. College roommates. High schoolers. Grandmothers. Ex-friendboys. Girls on the bus. Girls back home.
Who do you think of? Find some time this week to picture 1 face, 1 name, 1 life, 1 someone on your heart that you feel led to pray over. Maybe pray it again next week. And the next. And the next. And the next.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dearest Lord Jesus,
Truly, Heaven saves the best wine until last. So different from the way the world ladles out its pleasures. First there is the giddy exhilaration, but with the morning comes the headache and the heartache. And that's when the gnawing emptiness returns.
Lord, someone close to my heart has gone through life with that gnawing emptiness for something more.
I pray that you would take ________ and fill him with your Spirit. His heart, with its dry hollow contours, yearns for you, but he doesn't know it. His soul is too unschooled in spiritual things to even articulate the ache.
He has sought to satisfy that ache with all the wrong things, Lord. But he is an empty man, whose past is filled with regret, whose present is filled with distractions and whose future is filled with worry.
Empty him of these, Lord. Even if you have to turn his life upside down to do it.
Fill him with the brimming awareness that you--who are the same yesterday, today, and forever--that you forgive his past, that you are his soul's daily bread, and that you hold his future in your hands.
I'm trusting you for a miracle, Lord. Touch the water of his life and transform it into the finest of wines...
-Ken Gire, "Moments with the Savior"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment