It seems too often we preface our statements and conversation pieces with "this is going to be really judgmental, but..." or "I know this is my pride, but..."
Praise God that we can be self-aware and call ourselves out for our self-consumption and arrogance, but is that enough in His eyes?? Is pausing to say "I know I'm prideful..." enough to a God who claims to HATE such a thing? Why do we justify ourselves by simply acknowledging we know we have issues, but never truly begging Him to help rid ourselves of such behavior? Perhaps we're missing the point here... perhaps our idea of God's hate is not resonating as it should... We seem to excuse ourselves a bit by saying, "sure, I'm prideful, but who isn't?"
[From Francis Chan's Crazy Love ]:
God says in Proverbs 8:13, "I hate pride and arrogance." You and I are not allowed to tell Him how much He can hate it. He can hate and punish it as severely as His justice demands.
God never excuses sin. And He is always consistent with that ethic. Whenever we start to question whether God really hates sin, we have only to think of the cross, where His Son was tortured, mocked, and beaten because of sin. Our sin.
[end quote]
Do we ever pause to think that our nasty dirt that comes out actually warrants the strenuousness of the cross?? That what we are writing off as human nature is so loathed in the eyes of our Creator, that He'd prefer to annihilate the root of it, than tolerate it...
Yet we carry on...
Forgive us, Father, for we REALLY know not what we do... but by Your grace, I pray You do a MIGHTY work in all of us to be TRANSFORMED daily more and more like You, and for heaven's sake, so much less like ourselves...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A big Amen!!!!!!
ReplyDelete