Monday, November 2, 2009

Grief


I just wanted to share something with you all.


Yesterday after my dad called to tell me that my Grandpa had passed I hung up the phone and attempted to go back to sleep (take advantage of the extra hour) Right away the song It Is Well With My Soul came into my head so I called my parents right back and asked if we were going to sing it is well with my soul at Grandpa's funeral. They were not sure. Anyways I felt an overwhelming sense of peace and stillness about the whole situation despite the incredible loss. I actually was able to fall back asleep. I got up and got ready for church. The first song we sang was Come Thou Fount. I LOOOVVVE this song... The last was It Is Well with my Soul... It Was amazing!


My church has been doing a series on the book the Celebration of Discipline but they decided to deviate from the series this week and focus on all Saints day. Kris spoke about loss and how as Americans we do not give the appropriate space for loss and how we try to rush the process and tell people things like it's okay they are in a better place to hurry them up and try to keep them from being sad. He spoke about how important it is to grieve and how that process needs to be encouraged not stifled. He quoted C.S. Lewis and I can't find the exact quote but the gist of it was that grief is like a hot cup of tea you have to sip it slowly and until it's all gone and there is comfort in that but if you rush grief you will burn yourself.


I absolutely LOVED what Kris shared on All Saints Day and I really want to encourage all of you to take some time out today and hear what he shared about love and loss. http://www.trinityvineyard.org/sermons (listen to the one titled grief) I really believe that it will encourage you.


Love,

Christy


It is WellWhen peace, like a river, attendeth my way,When sorrows like sea billows roll;

Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,

It is well, it is well, with my soul. Refrain


It is well, with my soul,It is well, with my soul,It is well, it is well, with my soul. Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,Let this blest assurance control,That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,And hath shed His own blood for my soul.


RefrainMy sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!My sin, not in part but the whole,Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!


RefrainFor me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:If Jordan above me shall roll,No pang shall be mine, for in death as in lifeThou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.


RefrainBut, Lord, ‘tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,The sky, not the grave, is our goal;Oh trump of the angel! Oh voice of the Lord!Blessèd hope, blessèd rest of my soul!


RefrainAnd Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,Even so, it is well with my soul.


RefrainWords: Horatio G. Spafford, 1873


Come, Thou FountCome, Thou Fount of every blessing,Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;Streams of mercy, never ceasing,Call for songs of loudest praise.

Teach me some melodious sonnet,Sung by flaming tongues above.Praise the mount! I’m fixed upon it,Mount of Thy redeeming love.


Sorrowing I shall be in spirit,Till released from flesh and sin,Yet from what I do inherit,Here Thy praises I’ll begin;Here I raise my Ebenezer;Here by Thy great help I’ve come;And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,Safely to arrive at home.Jesus sought me when a stranger,Wandering from the fold of God;He, to rescue me from danger,Interposed His precious blood;How His kindness yet pursues meMortal tongue can never tell,Clothed in flesh, till death shall loose meI cannot proclaim it well.O to grace how great a debtorDaily I’m constrained to be!Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,Bind my wandering heart to Thee.


Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,Prone to leave the God I love;Here’s my heart, O take and seal it,Seal it for Thy courts above.O that day when freed from sinning,I shall see Thy lovely face;Clothed then in blood washed linenHow I’ll sing Thy sovereign grace;Come, my Lord, no longer tarry,Take my ransomed soul away;Send thine angels now to carryMe to realms of endless day.

No comments:

Post a Comment